If you are already a Laridian customer, log in above and we can tell you if you own this product.
To Purchase This Product
This product is only available for Mac OS X.
This product can be downloaded directly to your Mac using OS X 10.7 or later.
- Download the BookBuilder disk image (click on button above)
- Locate BookBuilder.dmg in your Downloads folder and double-click to run it
- Agree to the License Agreement
- Drag the BookBuilder icon into your Applications folder
- To run BookBuilder, locate it in your Applications folder and double-click to run it
- Once you've purchased BookBuilder Standard or BookBuilder Pro, select Register BookBuilder from the BookBuilder menu and enter your Laridian Customer ID and password to enable the full features of the program.
BookBuilder Pro for Mac OS X
BookBuilder Professional gives you a suite of programs you can use to create electronic books for use with current versions of PocketBible. These are the same techniques and tools used in-house by Laridian to create books for PocketBible!
BookBuilder Professional provides complete documentation on specific HTML tags and attributes you need to use for preparing your text file for publication (called "tagging"). You'll use the DocAnalyzer tool to create a detailed report on the contents of your file to help you get started tagging and to check your work as you go. The included VerseLinker tool simplifies the task of creating links to Bible verses from your books.
When your tagging is complete, simply run the BookBuilder tool to create a file that can be read by PocketBible. Assuming you also have the free PocketBible program installed on your Mac, BookBuilder will automatically install your new book into PocketBible and launch it so you can proofread it.
BookBuilder Professional is required if you plan to sell or otherwise widely distribute your books. If you plan to create books for your own personal use then you should consider buying the less expensive BookBuilder Standard program. On the other hand, the advantage of owning the Professional edition even when creating books just for your own use is that it includes additional tools to aid in tagging and it installs your book into PocketBible automatically.
You can download BookBuilder for free to examine the documentation and sample files. You will need to purchase BookBuilder Standard or BookBuilder Pro to enable the full features of the program.
- In-depth User's Guide - detailed, easy-to-understand instructions for preparing your book for processing by the BookBuilder program. You'll need to start with your book in text format and follow the instructions in the User's Guide to apply a subset of HTML tags to format the text. (It is recommended that you already know or are willing to learn HTML from resources outside the documentation.) User Guide topics include:
- How to use the DocAnalyzer tool to prepare your book for tagging.
- How to use HTML to format your documents
- Strategy for creating Bibles and reference books for PocketBible
- How to use Laridian extensions to HTML to indicate Bible-related features in your books (i.e. verse references, synchronization, Strong's numbers, etc.)
- How to use the VerseLinker tool to automatically link both explicit and ambiguous references to Bible verses so that your book can interact with Bibles in PocketBible.
- How to compile your book using the BookBuilder tool. Included are explanations for all possible error messages and warnings.
- And more!
- DocAnalyzer - This tool examines your files and creates reports identifying every character, character entity, tag, attribute, and attribute value used in the file so that you can more quickly identify problems. It is especially useful for books that start out in some other format such as SGML, XML, ePub, etc.
- VerseLinker - Simplifies the task of creating links to Bible verses from your books. Automatically finds and suggests links for ambiguous references like "verse 10" or "chapter 3".
- BookBuilder - When you're done tagging, this tool will compress and convert your file into a book which can be read by PocketBible (i.e. a Laridian book or .lbk file).
- Samples - Includes a sample Bible, dictionary, commentary, and devotional to guide you in your own tagging.
There is virtually no limit to the material that you can add to PocketBible.* Here are just a few suggestions:
- NEW! Easily create books from your PocketBible notes, highlights, and bookmarks! If you are using the personalization features of PocketBible to record notes, highlight verses, and create categorized bookmarks, simply synchronize them with our server, log into your account at our site, and use the "My Data" link to create HTML files containing your personal data, ready to be converted to a Laridian book by BookBuilder!
- Sermon or Bible study notes or other of your own personal writings.
- Classic reference materials in the public domain downloaded from the internet.
*Copyright law applies to anything you publish using the BookBuilder. It is your responsibility to determine the copyright status of the books you publish with BookBuilder, and what rights you have with respect to reproducing, viewing, and distributing those books. More information regarding copyright is included in the BookBuilder User's Guide.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What exactly am I purchasing? You are purchasing instructions on how to tag books for use with PocketBible along with several tools designed to either assist you in tagging or convert your tagged file into a format that PocketBible will recognize.
- Is this difficult? Tagging the document will take time and some HTML skills. We recommend that you know a little HTML (or be willing to learn it on your own) to do this. The VerseLinker program requires some intervention on your part to make decisions about what may or may not be a Bible reference but is not difficult to use. Running the tools in BookBuilder is very easy. You might want to review the complete documentation to get an idea what is involved before getting started. You can download the program for free to review the documentation and sample files. You will need to purchase and register the BookBuilder program, however, to enable its features.
- Can I sell materials that I create using the BookBuilder? Yes, however, you will need to purchase and format your books using BookBuilder Professional and submit your tagged books to us when you're done so we can assign a unique publisher and book ID. And you cannot publish anything that directly competes with us.
- Can I publish some popular reference book even though it has a current copyright on it? We do not intend this tool to be used to violate the copyright of any Bible or reference book. Copyright is a difficult issue and we include a discussion of it in the User's Guide. We strongly encourage you to honor the copyrights of authors who labor to bring you Bibles and reference materials.
Requires Mac OS X 10.8 or later.
The Fine Print
Copyright © 2010-2017 by Laridian, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Laridian and PocketBible are registered trademarks of Laridian, Inc. DailyReader, MyBible, Memorize!, PrayerPartner, eTract, BookBuilder, VerseLinker, iPocketBible, DocAnalyzer, Change the way you look at the Bible, and The Bible. Anywhere. are trademarks of Laridian, Inc. Other marks are the property of their respective owners.
- You are viewing the mobile version of our website.
- You are not logged in.
- Your IP Address: 188.8.131.52
- Site IP Address: 172.31.0.14
Find us on Facebook
We announce new products via email. If you ask to be removed from any of our mailings, you will not receive these notifications. If your email address changes, make sure you change it here, too.
We post short instructional videos on our youtube channel.
There's detailed information about PocketBible for Android on Google+.
The Fine Print
Copyright © 2010-2017 by Laridian, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Laridian, PocketBible, and MyBible are registered trademarks of Laridian, Inc. DailyReader, Memorize!, PrayerPartner, eTract, BookBuilder, VerseLinker, iPocketBible, DocAnalyzer, Change the way you look at the Bible, and The Bible. Anywhere. are trademarks of Laridian, Inc. Other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Products by Platform
Bible Reader Software
- PocketBible for iPhone/iPad
- PocketBible for Mac OS X
- PocketBible for Android
- PocketBible for Windows Store
- PocketBible for Windows Phone
- PocketBible for Windows
- BookBuilder for Windows
- BookBuilder Pro for Windows
- BookBuilder for OS X
- BookBuilder Pro for OS X
- Self-Publishing Info
Products by Type
Best Ways to Get Help
You can get the fastest help by helping yourself.
- Make sure you obtain the PocketBible or other Bible reader program that is required to read the Bibles or books you bought.
- Read the confirmation email we send you when you make a purchase
- Read the help that's built into each of our products
- Look through our Frequently Asked Questions
- Chat with us using the chat widget below.
- Submit a Support Ticket
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org