If you are already a Laridian customer, log in above and we can tell you if you own this product.
This product is also available in the following bundles or collections:
To Purchase This Product
Choose your preferred platform from the list below to add the product to your shopping cart.
When you purchase this product you can install it on any plaform on which it is supported, onto any device you personally own or control. (View our “Buy-It-Once“ policy.) However, when purchasing you must choose the initial platform on which you'll be installing the product.
Expositor's Bible Commentary: New Testament
- iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
- Windows Phone
- Windows Store
- Windows PC
- Mac OS X
- Windows Mobile
- Palm OS
The Expositorís Bible Commentary, New Testament uses the New International Version (sold separately) for its English text, but also refers freely to other translations and to the original languages. Each book of the New Testament covered here has, in addition to its exposition, an introduction, outline, and bibliography. Notes on textual questions and special problems are correlated with the expository units; transliteration and translation of Semitic and Greek words make the more technical notes accessible to readers unacquainted with the biblical languages. In matters where marked differences of opinion exist, commentators, while stating their own convictions, deal fairly and irenically with opposing views.
About this Series
The Gold Medallion Award-winning Expositorís Bible Commentary is a major contribution to the study and understanding of the Scriptures. Providing pastors and Bible students with a comprehensive and scholarly tool for the exposition of the Scriptures and the teaching and proclamation of their message, this multi-volume reference work has become a staple of seminary and college libraries and pastors' studies worldwide.
"...now, when the flood of new translations and their unparalleled circulation have expanded the readership of the Bible, the need for exposition takes on fresh urgency." (From the Preface)
- Covers the entire New Testament sometimes verse by verse and sometimes passage by passage with expository comments
- Includes Introduction, Outline and Bibliography for every book in the New Testament
- Committed to the divine inspiration, complete trustworthiness and full authority of the Bible.
- 20 contributors (New Testament portion) from various countries and Christian faith traditions
- Chief principle of interpretation: grammatico-historical, make clear the meaning of the text at the time and in the circumstancese of its writing.
- Based on the New International version text (sold separately) but can be used alongside all Bibles in PocketBible.
- Unabridged edition of the Expositor's Bible Commentary. Series was originally published in 12 volumes; this offering includes the five volumes which covered the New Testament.
From the Preface
"The title of this work defines its purpose. Written primarily by expositors for expositors, it aims to provide preachers, teachers, and students of the Bible with a new and comprehensive commentary on the books of the Old and New Testaments. Its stance is that of a scholarly evangelicalism committed to the divine inspiration, complete trustworthiness, and full authority of the Bible. Its seventy-eight contributors come from the United States, Canada, England, Scotland, Australia, New Zealand, and Switzerland, and from various religious groups, including Anglican, Baptist, Brethren, Free, Independent, Methodist, Nazarene, Presbyterian, and Reformed churches. Most of them teach at colleges, universities, or theological seminaries.
...The chief principle of interpretation followed in this commentary is the grammatico-historical one--namely, that the primary aim of the exegete is to make clear the meaning of the text at the time and in the circumstances of its writing. This endeavor to understand what in the first instance the inspired writers actually said must not be confused with an inflexible literalism. Scripture makes lavish use of symbols and figures of speech; great portions of it are poetical. Yet when it speaks in this way, it speaks of no less truly then it does in its historical and doctrinal portions. To understand its message requires attention to matters of grammar and syntax, word meanings, idioms, and literary forms--all in relation to the historical and cultural setting of the text..."
About the Author(s)
- Gospel of Matthew: D.A. Carson
- Gospel of Mark: Walter W. Wessel
- Gospel of Luke: Walter L. Liefeld
- Gospel of John: Merrill C. Tenney
- Acts: Richard N. Longenecker
- Romans: Everett F. Harrison
- 1 Corinthians: W. Harold Mare
- 2 Corinthians: Murray J. Harris
- Galatians: James Montgomery Boice
- Ephesians: A. Skevington Wood
- Philippians: Homer A. Kent, Jr.
- Colossians: Curtis Vaughan
- 1, 2 Thessalonians: Robert L. Thomas
- 1, 2 Timothy: Ralph Earle
- Titus: D. Edmond Hiebert
- Philemon: Arthur A. Rupprecht
- Hebrews: Leon Morris
- James: Donald W. Burdick
- 1, 2 Peter: Edwin A. Blum
- 1,2 3 John: Glenn W. Barker
- Jude: Edwin A. Blum
- Revelation: Alan F. Johnson
About the Editor(s)
The late Frank E. Gaebelein served as general editor of Expositorís Bible Commentary. For many years he held the position of headmaster at The Stony Brook School. On his retirement in 1963 until 1966 he was coeditor of Christianity Today. Until his death in 1983 he devoted himself to editing, writing and speaking. Dr. Gaebelein was a graduate of New York University and Harvard University and received three honorary degrees.
Consulting editors for the New Testament:
- The late Dr. James Montgomery Boice, pastor of Tenth Presbyterian Church, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- The late Merrill C. Tenney, professor of Bible and theology, Wheaton College
Installed size (unless otherwise indicated): Approximately 17.625 MB. iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch Requires iPhone, iPod touch, or iPad running iOS 5.0 or later. Download size: 17.625 MB. Android Requires Android OS 2.2 or later. Download size: 17.625 MB. Windows Phone Requires Windows Phone 7.5 or later. Download size: 17.625 MB. Windows Store Download size: 17.625 MB. Windows PC Requires Windows 2000, XP, Vista, Windows 7, or later. Download size: 9.875 MB. Mac OS X Download size: 17.625 MB. Windows Mobile Requires Pocket PC / Windows Mobile version 6.5 or earlier. Download size: 8.125 MB. Palm OS Requires Palm OS 5.0 or later. Download size: 8.875 MB.
Find us on Facebook
Devoted Laridian fans watch our blog for the latest news, including comments on as-yet-unreleased and unannounced products.
We post short instructional videos on our youtube channel.
There's detailed information about PocketBible for Android on Google+.
We don't keep lists of potential beta testers. Just watch the blog.
The Fine Print
Copyright © 2010-2015 by Laridian, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Laridian, PocketBible, and MyBible are registered trademarks of Laridian, Inc. DailyReader, Memorize!, PrayerPartner, eTract, BookBuilder, VerseLinker, iPocketBible, DocAnalyzer, Change the way you look at the Bible, and The Bible. Anywhere. are trademarks of Laridian, Inc. Other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Products by Platform
Bible Reader Software
Products by Type
Best Ways to Get Help
You can get the fastest help by helping yourself.
Laridian Associates Program
Associates Program members earn a referral fee for every sale resulting from their links to our site!
Log Into Your Download Account to Join the Associates Program